miércoles, 21 de febrero de 2007

Other benefits of coaching


My wife, Cindy (here we're on the Isla del Sol in Lake Titicaca) tells me that my coaching is one of the best things that's ever happened to her. She notices that I listen better, am more attentive to what's going on in her world and am less touchy about accepting criticism. We don't argue as much about who's right. All of this translates into communication on a deeper level.

Part of being an effective coach involves getting to understand oneself better. What are some of the things that block communication with other people? How can I recognize when I'm getting angry and how can I channel that energy into something positive rather than damage people and relationships?

One of the disciplines of coaching is asking people a lot of questions about the challenges they're facing or the problems they're having at work. It means getting away from thinking about yourself and thinking instead about others. This very basic act has an unselfish, giving aspect to it. This practice of giving has all kinds of positive effects when it spills over into friendships and family life.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario